utmreviews

Under The Mountain

Reviewing books since 2010. Obsessive dystopia fan.

Shift (Strange Chemistry)

Shift - Kim Curran
The start of Shift, the prologue, was pretty gripping, I sneak a look when my ARC arrived and immediately regretted it - I wanted to devour the whole boo there and then! When I did get to the book I wasn't disappointed - the story is thrilling, filled with twists and turns I would never have thought of.

The plot itself reminded me strongly of Thomas Taylor's Haunters, which I read recently. Male POV, gets strange powers that can change history, and those powers disappear when you reach a certain age. And the whole secret Government thing. However, Scott did come across as quite naive during the majority of the book which was a little frustrating at times but he did grow up a lot towards the end which made up for it.

There were a lot of fun elements in this. Exploding heads, a fat hungry guy, shifting itself, pole jumping, things blowing up, all good gory fun! I actually missed two chapters and had to go back and read them, something that hasn't happened before. unfortunately these chapters were two of the most vital in the book. Well, at least that explained why I kept feeling like I missed something!

Surprisingly, I would tag this as Dystopian. It's set in modern day but there are definitely strong dystopian elements in there that I was really not expecting. The ending did seem a little... silly but in a good way and I throughly enjoyed it.I'm hoping for a sequel, so that Scott and Aubrey's relationship might develop more and we could see more from the rebel guys which I'm sure have a name but I can't remember it damnit.