utmreviews

Under The Mountain

Reviewing books since 2010. Obsessive dystopia fan.

A Black Deeper Than Death (Miki Radicci Book 1) (Volume 1)

A Black Deeper Than Death - M.E. Purfield Although a short novel, this first book in the Miki Radicci series feels like a full novel and I sped through it, trying to guess who the killer was before we got to the end of the book. Hint: I didn't guess who it was. I loved Miki, although she's a 16 year old art genius and alcoholic I felt that I could really connect with her and I loved her character. All of her actions are alcoholism are explained perfectly, which helped a lot!

The author describes this as YA Urban Noir Fantasy and I definitely agree with him - it has all the gritty, urban noir elements - crime scenes, dark streets and darker intentions. But we also have a few typical elements from YA Paranormal too - including a very attractive guy named Chris, who has inherited his Father's fortune - also known as a company who produces most of the cleaning products found under Miki's sink. Chris is really sweet and I really loved him!
But wait, there's more... Paranormal elements. As you've probably seen above Miki has a thing where she can feel other people's emotions - something that I really understand why it was a huge problem when her best friend Corey bangs his thumb when making her canvas things Did I mention he's also awesomely gay? I have so much love for this character.

The ending was SAD though. Like I said, I didn't guess the killer - there were so many twists and turns in this though, I'm not surprised! The author has A LOT of sequels planned and I plan to devour every single one, I can't wait to read more about Miki!