utmreviews

Under The Mountain

Reviewing books since 2010. Obsessive dystopia fan.

Blackpool Cove (Blood Tide)

Blood Tide - Tess Oliver Tess Oliver is my favourite Author, so you can imagine my excitement when I got a copy of this. Blood Tide is a YA Vampire novel, set in the late 19th century. Admittedly I usually avoid Vampire novels like the plague but as this one is written by Tess I figured I'd make an exception. I made the right choice too - Blood Tide is (almost) as strong as the previous two I read (Bitterroot Crossing and Camille), and the main character is almost more likeable than Camille, which surprised me.

In the theme of strong female characters, Trixie Starfire Muldoon (now there's a name I won't forget in a hurry) is living on Blackpool Cove with her Grandfather and Romani-Gypsy born Grandmother, who has the uncanny ability to predict the weather. Not surprisingly though, the star of the show is Trixie's pet Pelican, Finley who definitely has a very cute personality - and a constant longing for fish.
Onto the boys. This is where I had problems. I found there were too many male characters to be able to keep up with them all! It was rather difficult to remember who said and did what as well as trying to work out who Trixie could end up dating, which was a shame. It got a little easier towards the end of the book but I would have enjoyed it more if there were less.
Piper Louisa was my favourite character (I nearly always like the sidekicks best), she's very stereo-typical 19th century girl around boys, obsessing over them and giggling a lot. I felt the stereotypical-ness was a good thing though. I found it very entertaining when her cousin, Charlotte turned up and they both hated each other, which led to many digs at each other.

Plot wise, I enjoyed it but found it a little silly in places, although what with the events that happened I suppose it needed a little sillyness! I definitely enjoyed the first half of the book more than the second though, as Piper showed up more and the characters seemed stronger.