utmreviews

Under The Mountain

Reviewing books since 2010. Obsessive dystopia fan.

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight - Jennifer E. Smith To start with, I shall make two statements. I loved this book more than Anna and the French Kiss. I will gush a lot. So now you're prepared for all the gushing, I'll dive right it. This book was amazing. I can't pinpoint exactly what made it so amazing but I know Oliver helped. He's British, funny, a gentleman and has ACTUAL FEELINGS. A YA boy with a actual feelings! Amazing.

Right, that's enough gushing. I was expecting the majority of the book to be set on the flight to London, so I was surprised when Hadley and Oliver suddenly started getting off the plane. The book would have been weird if it was all about the plane though, as I wouldn't have read about Hadley seeing her Dad, which is supposed to be the focus of the story (although I only cared about Oliver). When she got off the plane and Oliver did what he did (WOW) and then suddenly disappeared, I was like, NO! Where has he gone? Are we going to see him again? I genuinely started panicking a bit as the story progressed and the story didn't seem to be heading in an Oliver direction. I'll let you find out for yourself if it does.

I just diverted straight back to Oliver there, didn't I? As you can guess from the cover and blurb, Hadley and Oliver fall in love quite quickly and I was worried this would be quite unrealistic. It really wasn't though, right from the beginning when Hadley first has an argument with a lady about her bags, you can see just how well they fit together and this continues on the plane ride.

As a side story, that's actually meant to be the main focus at first, Hadley's Dad has moved to England and is getting married to a new woman. Hadley feels deeply betrayed by her Dad and when he was at home, he was the perfect Dad, as shown in flashbacks every so often. He read her nearly all the classics, and he gave her one classic that she hasn't read yet – Our Mutual Friend by Charles Dickens. Hadley plans to shove this in her Dad's face as soon as she gets to England, of course.

The main theme of the book is basically 'What If?' If Hadley hadn't have missed her flight by just four minutes, she would never had met Oliver and quite frankly, the story as a whole would be rubbish.