utmreviews

Under The Mountain

Reviewing books since 2010. Obsessive dystopia fan.

Popular: Vintage Wisdom for a Modern Geek (A Memoir)

Popular: Vintage Wisdom for a Modern Geek (A Memoir) - Maya Van Wagenen I received a request for review from Penguin for this book and after being shocked and honoured at being contacted at all, I initially wasn't sure if to accept this book for review. This is a non-fiction book after all and there is no reviews for non-fiction on my blog as far as I was aware. However, this experiment intrigued me so I happily accepted. I'm so, so glad I did.

Popular doesn't read like a non-fiction book. In fact in a few places I had to remind myself that it wasn't fiction. Maya is the most amazing writer. She's funny, frank and even as a 22 year old living in England, I felt that I could relate to her. There were some popularity tips from her in the book that had me crying with laughter! I'm very aware of the popularity ladder in high schools, however we didn't actually have one in our school, or at least I was never aware of one. There were groups of friends sure but no set tables and everyone just talked to everyone else. I still strongly understood Maya's attempts to fit in however.

I have been trying out one of the Popularity tips, which is good posture. All I've discovered is that my normal posture (hunched over like a cat over a food bowl) is so bad that sitting properly is physically painful. I'm sticking at it though in the hopes that the searing pain might wear off soon. I must look ridiculous hunched over like that.