utmreviews

Under The Mountain

Reviewing books since 2010. Obsessive dystopia fan.

Bloodline 1

Bloodline: A Sequel To Bram Stoker's Dracula - Kate Cary Hmm. I loved the start of this book, with detailed accounts of John's life in the trenches, all the horrors he saw there and the unease he felt towards his CO, Harker. Mary joins in too, as we are reading his account at the same time as her - as John has come back from the trenches feverish and she decides it's a perfectly decent idea to nick his diary and read it. She looks after him oretty well though, I'll give her that.

There was just too big a plot hole to ignore during this book however. Everytime I got to a new journal entry I couldn't help but think that it was awfully convienient that the four main characters just happened to keep a detailed journal each and that they all liked to write as if their journal was a fictional book. It lost a lot of believeablity there.

The story was rather silly. I'm all for a good Vampire story these days but this one so cheesy in places I couldn't help but giggle a little. It didn't help that my brain misread the first kissing scene's sentence as 'the closeness of his massive face' instead of frame. I mean, YOU try and not giggle at that sentence.

The story as a whole though was interesting and there were many twists and turns that I enjoyed. Mary grew on me until I loved her character, which is probably for the best after certain developments. Harker was a complete ba-... rstool at times and at other times I almost felt sorry for him, he was very confusing! I'm pretty sure the next book will throw up some pretty awesome events despite the silliness, I'm quite looking forward to it!