utmreviews

Under The Mountain

Reviewing books since 2010. Obsessive dystopia fan.

The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars - John Green When I started reviewing back in 2010, I left a less than 100 word review of Looking For Alaska, basically saying it was rubbish and the author was trying a little too hard to be deep and philosophical. I still think that same now, of course, so when I heard about The Fault in Our Stars I wasn't sure if I should read it or not. However, I spotted a brand new shiny copy at my local library and jumped at the chance. And I'm so, so, glad I did.

The Fault in Our Stars can probably be summed up in one sentence - FEEL ALL THE EMOTIONS. And that's exactly what I did. I felt everything. But I didn't cry, which was surprising. Nothing wrong with the book and I still firmly believe that this is a must-read for 2012. If you're a contemporary fan, grab yourself a copy and get reading! Of course, John Green is still doing that deep and philosophical thing he likes doing and it has improved a lot since Looking For Alaska but I think he would be better at comedy!

The characters, settings and overprotective parents were all perfectly believable and extremely well researched. John said at the back that he used a bit of artistic license for the cancer thing but I didn't bat and eyelid once. Even at Patrick's balls. Or lack of them.

I loved Hazel and Augustus. They were the ultimate couple, one of those couples you should be jealous of but can't help loving because they're just so awesome together, just like Anna and Etienne. They broke my heart, they did. I'll definitely be picking up John Green's other books and reading them, after loving this one as much as I did. I'm almost reluctant to take it back to the library too - it's signed!