utmreviews

Under The Mountain

Reviewing books since 2010. Obsessive dystopia fan.

Pandemonium (Delirium)

Pandemonium - Lauren Oliver After much grumbling about the sudden cover change so they could force people to buy second copies, I looked forward to reading Pandemonium. And then Hana arrived. It took me a LOT of effort to get this short novel but I wanted to read it a lot, Hana was an amazing best friend. But Lauren twisted her character into something bitchy and evil, which made no sense to me. And then I read some of Pandemonium and I wasn't impressed. Which is exactly why I'm writing this review months after the book has been released.

I got exactly what I expected from Pandemonium. Not much. The book didn't fit well with Delirium, it felt like a different book instead of another piece of the jigsaw and I did struggle with that a lot. I also kept getting the story mixed up with Matched slightly, different details kept getting meshed but not enough to completely confuse me!

Lena is a huge slut. I'll just throw that out there. She moves on from Alex in a matter of months without trying to find him - she believes he isn't dead, so why wasn't she trying? She moves onto Julian very quickly, going thorugh the crappy gasping and 'I shouldn't like him' crap that YA is full of these days. Girls, if you're gasping everything a guy is near you, perhaps it's time to get yourselves checked for Asthma. Might be an idea. She thinks about Tack a lot too, and would have probably got in his pants if given half the chance. Then there's Hunter, who's gay so doesn't get much of a mention. He's gay right? That's what I picked up anyway.

The story throws in loads of twists and turns - that we were all expecting. It was no surprise to me and I already guessed what would happen by the first 50 pages. Then Then and Now were interesting but the vital middle piece that connected to two was missing. It never bothered to mention how Lena ended up working for the resistance, which seems like a pretty big piece of the story to forget to write. Lena likes to remind us a lot that she's the NEW Lena, the old Lena is gone! She doesn't exist anymore! Over and over.

I'll definitely be reading the next book but I'm not exactly scraping my fingernails down Waterstone's doors yet.