utmreviews

Under The Mountain

Reviewing books since 2010. Obsessive dystopia fan.

Throne of Glass

Throne of Glass - Sarah J. Maas 'I like you... but we can't be together, I'm a Prince!'
'I also like you but we can't be together... I'm the King's Guard!'
'I like you both... but I hate your King so we can't be together! But I like you, so I'm going to pretend he doesn't exist for a while!'

Shoot me and put me out of my misery already.

Actual Review:
I heard about Throne of Glass around three months ago and I loved the sound of it. Poison Study is one of my favourite books and that's literally my only fantasy book on my shelf, so when I heard there was ARC's of Throne of Glass available, I dived head first into the opportunity to snag myself a copy. Assassins! Romance! Trials! Castles! Magical Worlds!

400 pages of complete crap later, I passed the book onto my fantasy loving fiancée to read instead of doing what I wanted to do with it, which was throw the thing across the room. I was just so unbelievably... crap. I could deal with Celaena's ego, in fact I quite enjoyed it. As a beautiful woman and a notorious assassin, I would have been disappointed if she was any different. However, I couldn't put up with her constant whining about the Prince.

There was some redeeming things about this story, and that was Nox and the Assassin trials themselves. The mystery was okay but in the end went a little Harry Potter meets Merlin. I really enjoyed reading about the trials, which were heavily detail- oh wait, some of them were deigned a whole chapter if they were lucky while the others? One. Freaking. Sentence. I want to be exaggerating so much. Most of the actual interesting stuff, you know, the reason why Celaena is there in the first place, is shoved in the background so we can read about Celaena thinking about the Prince and why she shouldn't like him but wants him, the Prince thinking about Celaena and wanting to get in her knickers when he's not insulting her, despite having numerous other women - but he thinks that his Father's reign is wrong so he's so deep you know - and Chaol who thinks about Celaena constantly whilst thinking that he shouldn't be thinking of her and thinking that the Prince shouldn't be thinking of her either. However, I did think him cute in an annoying puppy sort of way.

In between all of this we occasionally have the vapid thoughts of some Lady I can't remember... hang on... Lady (I think) Kaltain, who think of nothing more than... getting in the Prince's knickers. Er.. underpants. I'm sorry guys but this is a guy who has slept with every woman in the castle, constantly insults Celaena and all he has to do to seem deep and handsome and god help me 'dreamy' is to think that his father's rule is wrong and that sending Celaena to Endovia (or whatever it's called) was also wrong. I'm sorry but unlike the majority of the people that will rate this 5 stars, I like my men to be... I dunno... intelligent? Is that really too much to ask in a guy? Oh but he reads books...

There's a lot of elements of other books and TV programs in here - Poison Study, Harry Potter, Merlin etc, and the plot was pretty much worked out by page 200. I'm not sure if I'm reading the rest of the books yet out of sheer curiosity, I do like to torture myself...