utmreviews

Under The Mountain

Reviewing books since 2010. Obsessive dystopia fan.

Wither (Chemical Garden)

Wither (Chemical Garden) - Lauren DeStefano I started reading the first couple of pages of this before realising I had no idea what the story was about. So onto GoodReads I went and was rather surprised by the sheer amount of low stars. You see, as little as I read, the writing is powerful and makes you want to read more. The general tone in reviews seems to be 'oh dear, another Dystopian novel', one reviewer commenting, 'making up some new horrible way people are treated in a future society '. I love Dystopia, there's so much you can do with it and I doubt that having a happy futuristic novel where everyone's eating cake would really sell. With Dystopia, teens like the dark side of what could happen. Not many people seem to share my passion however...
Now, upon finishing the book, I really enjoyed it. I will give it it's well deserved full five stars because the plot was intriguing, the characters kept my attention and weren't stereotypical and the darker scenes in the book were very well written, as was the rest of the book. The idea that you could die at just 20 (or 25, for the male readers) would be quite terrifying for most readers of this book which will probably be between 15 and 20. Myself, I'm 19 so the prospect of only having a few months left is quite a grim one.
Hopefully in the upcoming books we can learn about Rowan's side of the story and how he coped knowing his twin had been taken from him.