utmreviews

Under The Mountain

Reviewing books since 2010. Obsessive dystopia fan.

Delirium

Delirium  - Lauren Oliver So, what would happen if you took Scott Westerfeld's Uglies and Ally Condie's Matched, threw them in a pot and gave the a really good stir? This, and it's beautiful and heartbreaking.

Lena would never have done everything she did without the help of her friend, Hana. Hana was my favourite character throughout the book, she's the one who questions the world they live in first, who persuades Lena to go to an illegal party where she meets Alex for the third time. Without her, there would be no story.

At the heart of the book, there's a very sweet story about a boy and a girl falling in love for the first time. I went though all the emotions with her - the fear of being caught, first kisses and secret meetings. I couldn't help but feel that they should be running through the sunlight together, rather than hiding in the dark.

Thankfully, I have never read Before I Fall. I'm glad of this because when reading through the GoodReads reviews, every negative review mentions it. I have no idea why, as Delirium is it's own book, completely unrelated to Delirium in any way, except that Lauren wrote both.

Pandemonium is out in 2012 and I can't wait for the next installment in Lena's story. Delirium ended on a cliffhanger so it will be interesting to see what happens next. Can't wait!