utmreviews

Under The Mountain

Reviewing books since 2010. Obsessive dystopia fan.

Infinite Days (Vampire Queen Novels (St. Martin's Griffin))

Infinite Days - Rebecca Maizel I started this book with a lot of questions. What has happened to her? Who is Rhode to her? Why is she naked on a wooden floor? Thankfully all of these questions are soon answered – she’s Lenah Beaudonte, an ex-vampire and Rhode, her friend, lover and creator has turned her human. Unfortunately Rhode then dies, which is a shame because I really liked him. What happened to her clothes I’m not entirely sure – either they rotted away after 100 years or Rhode’s a necrophiliac.

After the first chapter I started to get a bit annoyed at Lenah. I couldn’t understand why on earth she was whining so much. She seemed to go on and on about how horrible her life was. Rhode just died for you, appreciate it! Plus, you’ve been living a good 500 years, more than most people. She had a privileged life, was very rich and many people doting on her. I think Rhode spoilt her just a little too much.

Then I met Justin. Oh, he annoyed me so, so much. I just didn’t get why Lenah liked him so much. He was an ass. And he called her a whore! Okay, maybe just so he could make his girlfriend shut up but still. He just kind of smirked at her too much, like he was better than anything else, you know? Maybe I’m too picky. I just didn’t like him when I met him.

Tony’s character was definitely the most likeable from the beginning, after Rhode. He’s the first person Lenah meets in her new life and he’s really kind to her, showing her around the campus and offering to learn her how to drive. He falls in love with Lenah quite quickly, despite her flaws and her obsession with Justin. He even braves his fear of heights for her, although as soon as Justin started noticing her she dropped him like a rock.

After a while of reading this and finding Lenah and Justin increasingly more annoying, something amazing happened. I just couldn’t stop reading. Lenah and Justin’s personalities improved to the point where I loved both of them. I read and read, wanting more and more. I wanted to know if her coven would find her and if they did, what would happen? Would any of her new friends make it out alive? Would she? I don’t know what happened, all I know is, I still want to read more. I’ll be thinking about this book for a while.

When I finally got to the end I just sat and thought about the whole story and wondered how there could be a sequel. This ending is like a cliff hanger without the cliff hanger! I can’t wait to read more, it’s definitely on the top of my ‘to buy’ list. If you like vampire novels, particularly Christopher Pike’s The Last Vampire series, I’d definitely recommend this.