utmreviews

Under The Mountain

Reviewing books since 2010. Obsessive dystopia fan.

Shimmer. by Alyson Nel

Shimmer (Riley Bloom #2) - Alyson Noel I originally wasn't going to read Shimmer - I didn't enjoy Radiance much - I found a few plot holes and thought that it was a bit too childish altogether. However I received a copy for review of Shimmer, and decided it would be worth the read - after all, it's pretty short!
I'm pleased to say that I made the right decision as the plot, once it gets going, is pretty unique and much stronger than the one in Radiance. Riley's character isn't as irritating and a found myself liking her much more. She reminded me very strongly of a younger Ever.

This one follows a tougher subject - the slave trade. I would advise some caution with really young readers as there's a few moments that aren't pretty but I believe the author handles them and the whole subject very well and it seemed very believable.

We also get a glimpse of Bodhi's past but he doesn't feature too heavily. I found this particular section rather intriguing and I'd love to know more of his past. As well as that we also see the past of a new character, Rebecca, who's been blinded my rage after her death, trapping people in her bubble. Riley's unassigned task this time is to get to the root of the problem and rescue Buttercup and Bodhi in the process. Thankfully she has help in the shape of Prince Kanta, one of the slaves. If he hadn't have been there the book would centre of Riley banging her fists against a bubble for the entire book and I don't think that would sell nearly as well! Needless to say, I hope this isn't Prince Kanta's last appearance.