utmreviews

Under The Mountain

Reviewing books since 2010. Obsessive dystopia fan.

Betrayal (Haunting Emma)

Betrayal  - Lee Nichols As with Deception, the title of Betrayal fits perfectly with the story, which I think is a brilliant idea. The plot is just as strong and made me giggle a lot throughout! My favourite moments are when the characters talk in a different language to each other - and the translations are in the footnotes!

The story introduces two new characters, Simon and Lukas, and they're great additions. Simon is the strict father-figure, who has them up late training and eating rather bland food and Lukas is your typical teenage boy, he reminds me of a less-uptight version of Harry. The obvious attraction between Natalie and Lukas made for even more hilarious moments. Harry, and Sara are in this too - but they blame Emma for Coby's death, and want nothing to with her.
Emma herself is just as awesome as she was in Deception, but you do have to put up with her thinking about Bennett all the time! Personally, I'd tell him where to go if he chose his Ghostkeeping abilities over me. Bennett has more substance in this but I'm not sure I like him as much as I did in the last book. He's less of a protective, sexy-older-guy figure and more of an asshole, to be honest!

There's some great twists and turns too, that kept me guessing right until the very end and the sneak peek of Surrender just made me want the third book even more! Is it December yet?