utmreviews

Under The Mountain

Reviewing books since 2010. Obsessive dystopia fan.

Fracture

Fracture - Megan Miranda Then Delaney meets Troy Varga, who recently emerged from a coma with similar abilities. At first she's reassured to find someone who understands the strangeness of her new existence, but Delaney soon discovers that Troy's motives aren't quite what she thought. Is their gift a miracle, a freak of nature-or something much more frightening?

The idea of a girl surviving 11 minutes under water, and the consequences of that, was what first pulled me in and made me want to read Fracture. I was curious to see where it would go, although I guessed they would be going down the paranormal route easily enough. I was expecting it to be very similar in style to all the over YA books out there – Girl has powers/is special, girl meets mysterious new guy, girl encounters much death and destruction. Actually, when I put it like that, it is like every other YA out there. But there's something about Fracture that makes it a little bit different too.

The characters in this, apart from Delaney and Troy, really annoyed me in many places. Decker didn't annoy me as much but he did have his moments. I had difficulty understanding him. Decker is your stereotypical boy-next-door but other than that I never really 'got' his character. He was going from beating himself up to kissing some other chick to taking Delaney out to the theatre and I was waiting for him to make his bloody mind up already.

One particular character, Delaney's mother, was the reason why I have given this book 4 stars. I am sick to death of YA books with overbearing parents. If they're dead, that's fine by me because I know if they're alive I'll have to put up with constant whining from them. With Delaney's mother, she was constantly at Delaney's back, sending her back to the Doctor, shoving pills down her neck and generally making Delaney feel as though her mother wished she were dead. You just don't do that with your kids. You give them a chance to heal and you work with what you've got. If Delaney was out every night drinking then fair enough. But she just wanted to concentrate on her studies.

Troy was an excellent addition to this, and he added a darkness to it which felt quite unique. His character is one I'll still remember in a years time. He had a bit of a God Complex about life and death, slowly becoming more twisted as the story progressed and the ending was one that I didn't expect. Apart from Delaney, he was the only character that felt real, not like a cardboard cut-out.

The ending really impressed me, it was shocking and final - I was fully expecting your average 'BUY MY NEXT BOOK!' cliffhanger so the Author can write a sequel but you can read this, be satisfied that the story is complete enough and not feel as if you have the buy the sequel, assuming there will be one. At the moment I believe it is a standalone but I fully expect a sequel to turn up in the next year or so. There are tiny ends that haven’t been tied, mainly an argument between Delaney and her best friend, Janna, but I'm not sure that they even need to be tied up.