utmreviews

Under The Mountain

Reviewing books since 2010. Obsessive dystopia fan.
Crashing Eden starts off slightly weird and ends up completely bizarre. I've never read a story like it. The main character, Joss, is pretty insane, although he does have his saner moments. He comes back home from Juvie, a few months after his brother, Eli's death and understandably, his parents are still pretty shaken up about it. He never calls his parents 'mom' or 'dad', which I don't remember being explained and his mom, Kathryn, is so weird (she doesn't give a damn about Joss) that she didn't really seem real to me.

The story as a whole is pretty good and memorable. Certainly for the less fussy reader, it's a pretty good read! Unfortunately from a blogger perspective it does have it's flaws. The characters themselves act very strangely, which can be explained by the OM but I would still expect a more extreme reaction to the events unfolding around them.
The end was a little disappointing, in that it suddenly starts talking as if it were a Middle Grade book. There was practically singing and dancing a life lessons at the end. Actually... I think there were life lessons at the end...

The highlight of this book for me was Joss and Callie's relationship. Callie is Joss's little sister and is turning six soon (the OM ends at six), as if the kid hadn't got enough to put up with. You can really see how much Joss loves Callie throughout the book (despite the weirdo psycho scene) and vice versa.