utmreviews

Under The Mountain

Reviewing books since 2010. Obsessive dystopia fan.
The story starts with Clara, the spoilt heroine, deciding to dress as a boy and join her fiancée as he's going away for a while at sea. I found myself wondering why she didn't seem to find it all strange, wearing a boys clothes.
So, she gets on the ship, and does all the duties she's supposed to... without any complaint. Surely a spoilt, pampered girl like herself would complain about the tough, menial work that sailors do?
I don't remember any mention of Clara's age all the way through the book. At a guess I'd say between 14-18?
Her voice: Apparently she'd changed her voice to sound more like a boy, naturally. She must have had quite a bit of experience impersonating boys voices considering she kept this up even when she was upset.
Nearly half of the way through and after picking the storyline to bits I found that even if the Author could do with more researching, I was enjoying the story immensely. Although it isn't fantastically thought out the storyline is intriguing and kept me reading until the end of the book. It gets quite silly in places but I would buy the sequel, if there was one. However, after writing this book, it seems that the Author vanished off the face of the planet, like a Croatoan incident.